The term of the current editorial board will expire with the release of the upcoming Fall/Winter edition. If you are interested in applying to be part of the next board, either as Managing Editor or Book Review Editor, please see the job description below and apply by the stated deadline (11/30/13).
These financially-compensated positions require two outgoing and detail-oriented graduate students who would like to gain insight into the inner workings of professional journals, forge professional relationships with working and future aestheticians, earn valuable work experience in online publishing, and make contacts by representing the journal at the ASA's annual meeting.
The Managing Editor is responsible for:
- sending out calls for papers and soliciting submissions,- recruiting referees,
- assigning submissions to referees and overseeing the review process,
- hiring and corresponding with the copy editor,
- corresponding with authors and peer reviewers with respect to submissions,
- formatting copy edited articles for publication and creating covers for new issues,
- advertising the journal on listservs and in the ASA Newsletter,
- reporting to the Board of Trustees on the status of the journal,
- keeping the online journal software up-to-date and operational,
- posting announcements on ASAGE’s website- overseeing the journal's annual budget,
- accepting invoices from employees and requesting payment from the ASA Treasurer,
- maintaining contact and consulting with the advisory committee as needed.
The Book Review Editor is responsible for:
- maintaining the list of books ASAGE would like reviewed on the web site,
- selecting books to be reviewed from those proposed by student reviewers,
- corresponding with book reviewers and dissertation abstract authors regarding submissions,
- copy editing and formatting book reviews and dissertation abstracts according to the Chicago Manual of Style guidelines,
- reporting to the Managing Editor on timelines, deadlines and all other matters pertaining to the timely publication of book reviews and dissertation abstracts.
The Managing Editor honorarium totals $3,200 per year and the Book Review Editor honorarium totals $1,500 per year.
All application materials and questions should be e-mailed to the current Managing Editor (Mike Gutierrez) at email@example.com. Please indicate in the subject line if you are applying for the Managing Editor position, the Book Review Editor position, or both. The application deadline is November 30, 2013.